Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Once Upon a time, I had a tidy house and garden. Once upon a time, I stayed home with my young children and taught them how to appreciate the finer things in life such as mud pies, catching crayfish, jumping in leaf piles and climbing trees. My kids had bruises, bumps and the occasional tick. Thank God that they were little before the onset of all the technology that exists today. Tech is great, don’t get me wrong, but they had nothing to do like there is today, and so they were outside.


My mom MADE us stay outside when we were little. It was more like we weren’t allowed in the house. Even if it was raining. Even if you were bleeding slightly-say you picked a bug bite…

I’m ready to go back to those days. Rediscover the outdoors. Fix up the house. Make chow-chow from scratch. But now I can have wifi and a cordless too while I’m doing it!

Is there anything you would like to recapture? I miss “clubs” like we had when I was little. Especially clubs where we spied on people. Covert operations 



More Later,

Xo

Plantress

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I know exactly what you mean. We had to be home when the street lights came on. Otherwise, Mom had no idea where we even were! Those were the days. I would be happy to join you on your covert spy trips. I am good at recon.

    This sure struck a nerve, Taint Plantress.

    ~Sadie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a different time, a safer time. Wonder how things and people got to be so crazy ?

    I didn't get an allowance as a child, I simply had chores that my mom expected me to do. It was part of being a family. For spending money I remember going with a friend all around our neighborhood and picking up discarded soda-pop bottles...you received a small fee for returning them. Seems like it was 2 cents for the smaller bottles and 5 cents for the large ones. Wasn't much but back then we could buy penny candy and a pack of gum was only 5 cents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea Plantress, I had forgotten about the cheap cartoon matinees. You know, now that I think about it, I really feel sorry for the last couple of generations. They never truly got to be kids and just enjoy their childhood, sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete